Monday, October 6, 2008

Assignment # 4

I can see social bookmarking as both a tool for my research and an easy way to create bookmarks. It can be tool for research with one key feature. The ability to share and explore others tags. So now instead of just having to run a search on Yahoo or Google on my own. I just need to go to a social bookmarking site and click on tags that pertain to my research without filtering through the results on a search engine. Also I can see what other people are using as alternative topics for research which might aid me in finding new web sites for information. Finally, I see it as an easy way to create bookmarks. Now instead of searching all my bookmarks on a list, all I have to do is click on a tag. The best thing is that I can be on a friend's computer and show them a cool websites I found.

I plan on using this technology during school life as an early and late phase of research tool. During an early phase, where I browse many websites for information, this tool can tag and bookmark sites. Then when I'm ready to write the paper, usually two to three weeks later, I can click on the tag and visit the exact website I need for the particular section of the paper. Which is a time saver because after two to three weeks it gets hard to remember which sites contained what information. In my personal life I only could see it as a good and quick way to show a friends a cool or funny video without having to remember a URL.

Along with sharing sites with others that I find entertaining or educational and being a time saver. Other benefits as stated in The 7 Things You Need to Know About Social Bookmarking article about social bookmarking are: its ability to express different perspectives on information contained on websites, it ability to create online communities, the ability to gain knowledge from others perspective, and being able see how others link several smaller topics together into one major topic.

No comments: